General Community Updates
Council facilities and services
Council will continue to stay up-to-date with Federal Government and NSW Health advice and regulations and will implement any necessary changes.
Council is reviewing operations to ensure the health and safety of our workers, includes increased hygiene procedures, implementing split teams to ensure business continuity and working remotely where possible.
The key changes to services include:
- As a precautionary measure, Cooee Lodge and Jack Towney Hostels are in ‘lockdown’ as of Friday, 27 March. Council is encouraging families to stay connected with their loved one through telephones and video call technologies. This decision is made in the interest of the health and safety of staff and residents.
- Council’s Administrative Building in Warren Road will close to the public and all non-resident staff from Monday, 30 March, however customer requests can still be received by phone or online.
- Service NSW will remain open for to the public in a restricted form allowing for essential transactions only. Strict social distancing and hygiene arrangements will be put in place to ensure health and safety of staff and customers.
- Gilgandra Shire Library closed, with click & collect service available
- Coo-ee Heritage & Visitor Information Centre closed.
- Gilgandra Youth Services closed.
- Gilgandra Fitness Centre & Swimming Pool closed.
- Cooee Retirement Village residents have been asked limit their visitors and please stay home unless absolutely necessary.
- Meals on Wheels and Community Transport Services will continue for essential appointments only such as medical appointments and grocery shopping, with redeployed staff assisting. If clients have any enquiries please call 6817 8750.
- The Gilgandra Waste Facilty remains open for waste disposal, with the Op Shop now closed.
- Orana Living is focussing on supporting individual household groups.
The following update on local events is provided. This list will be continually updated as further details are received:
- ANZAC Day services and events
- Gilgandra Show
- Gilgandra Debutante Ball
- Gilgandra Easter Tractor Rally
- Armatree Tracks @ the Tree (postponed until 19 September 2020)
- CWA Markets (postponed until after May)
- Gilgandra Senior and Junior League and Netball seasons (currently on hold until first weekend in May)
- Gilgandra Speedway (April & May scheduled events)
- Gular Galahs Rugby Union season (currently on hold until first weekend in May)
- Waste to Art Opening (event cancelled; currently exploring options for a virtual exhibition)