History of Tooraweenah
Home of the Kookaburra March, Arthur Butler Airways and southern gateway to the Warrumbungle National Park. Tooraweenah began in 1837 as one of Andrew Brown’s runs, which covered 16,000 acres. The first store in the village was constructed to the north of Tooraweenah Creek to provide supplies, brought in by wagon, for shepherds and drovers pushing stock to the north and north west of the state.
Tooraweenah is aboriginal for “Home of the Brown Snake” & the traditional custodians of our ancient land describe it as a meeting place for the Wiradjuri, Kamilaroi & Wailwan nations.
In January 1916, 25 men left their farms and trades in the bush from the quiet, outback tracks of Tooraweenah to March to Barthurst in a recruitment drive to help in the World War one effort.